Earlier this year Joburg Tweetups died and #SATweetups was born. We’ve hosted numerous events over the last few years attracting over 428 people to join the group.
Our Tweetups was always simple and social events for people who follow each other on Twitter to meet in-person. There was no speakers or speeches. This is the most popular way social media spills over into the real world. Tweet about an event long enough and reach influencers, and people show up no matter what the actual occasion.
Since I took over I’ve introduced guest speakers like Melanie Minnaar, Haroun Kola, Bruce Mabuyiwe, Xavier Saer and Marc Rees. My aim is to provide an alternative to 27Dinner. After years of hosting and speaking at their events, I no longer participate.
For some time now I’ve worked diligently to recruit Ambassadors. WIFFM you may ask? What’s In It For Me? Search marketing guru Tony Roocroft always reminded me of the importance of asking this question when doing any form of marketing whether online or not. Here’s what Ambassadors gain from hosting events in your area:
- A cool badge designed by our graphic designer Rekha Kalan for your blog
- Access to the Meetup.com platform to build a cohesive local community with the full RSVP process integrated Twitter & Facebook marketing.
- Branded Posters & Nametags for use before & during events
- Support from the most well connected networking people in South Africa
- Gaining experience in hosting events
- Practising your MC skills
- Increasing your Social media profile
- Interacting with people passionate about their causes
To continue to host these events we must increase achieve the following goals:
- Grow membership to > 1,000 people
- Appoint Ambassadors in each province, so we need 9 people to volunteer for the training to host these events by July 2013, before International Social Media
- PR Co-ordinator to contact local media and set-up interviews for guest speakers
What can you do to assist?
Please help grow the #SATweetups community by joining the Meetup.com group. So help me by posting a comment with your suggestion and sharing this on your Twitter network. I’m very excited that we’ve been growing steadily from 2009 to date. In November we’ll be celebrating our 3 year anniversary.
To cover some costs like the Meetup.com dues, please donate $10 or more using Paypal. To assist with any of the above, simply contact our office between 8am-8pm daily.
This Youth Day the first ever Joburg Tweetup takes place in Soweto. The event hosted by Internet evangelist, Ramon Thomas, takes place on Saturday, June 16 at the renowned Wandies Place starting 1pm. We invite you to join this special occasion, raising awareness of the extraordinary power of social media among to youth of South Africa’s largest township.
Haroun“As Twitter drives social change and social networks become mainstream, the youth have a critical role to play driving the communication channels of tomorrow. The 160 character limitation of Twitter is an ideal medium for kids brought up on a diet of SMS-lingo,” says Haroun Kola, one of the speakers at the #YouthDayTweetup.
Joburg Tweetups have grown to over 400 members since launching in 2009. Many of the members are among the most influential or Twitterati like Melanie Minnaar, the founder of Twitter Blanket Drive and Bruce Mubayiwa, the LinkedIn Coach, both speaking at the #YouthDayTweetup.
“Tweetups are social meet-ups where we get together and chat about Twitter and how we use in our daily lives,” asserts Ramon Thomas, the new organiser of Joburg Tweetups. “The key to networking is meeting people and establishing trust, honesty and respect. Tweetups are the perfect platform for formal networking and informal networking.”
To grow Tweetups we add value to Twitter users by providing a safe and fun environment for them to meet, chat, laugh and network. As we launch the #YouthDayTweetup in Soweto, we acknowledge the revolution that broke the camel’s back, took place exactly 30 years before Twitter launched in 1976. Twitter made headlines over the last two years as the main ingredient in the Arab Spring uprisings across the Middle East.
After lunch starting 2pm three speakers will address the #YouthDayTweetup discussing how they use Twitter in their personal and professional lives.
- Bruce Mubayiwa: a top LinkedIn Coach is proud to be African. He loves LinkedIn & Social Media, Technology & Innovation. He uses Twitter to motivating & uplifting others with solid advice on careers and business networking.
- Haroun Kola: Eco geek, blogger and social entrepreneur has a diverse experience using Twitter ranging from topics on the the spiritual life to subtleties of software. He will talk on how he makes money from blogging.
- Melanie Minnaar: is managing director of Halo, a marketing agency. She’s a mom to archangels, wife to an IT geek and proudly part of the Chinese diaspora. Her passion on Twitter is annual Twitter Blanket Drive #TBDZA which had collected over 1,000 blankets for homeless children.
— ENDS —
: To interview any of our speakers before or during the #YouthDayTweetup contact them directly
- Ramon Thomas: 081 4399 555 email@example.com
- Bruce Mubayiwa: 072 385 8520 Bruce@LinkedInCoach.co.za
- Haroun Kola: 084 511 7613 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melanie Minnaar: 082 880 4855 email@example.com
South African Social Network FACTS
The tweetup tonight is in only a few hours (7:30 pm) at Katzy’s, Rosebank. There is a free snacks for you and your tweeple, so please tell your followers to come. If you haven’t decided yet what to do tonight, come with a friend… its a great setting:
Whiskey, Wine, Beer, and Spirits… good people, can’t wait to see and meet you all. Katzy’s is great live music venue. Entrance is free tonight!
The Tweetup is more than just followers on twitter, its meeting new people face-to-face, networking with regards to similar interests and complimenting strengths and businesses.
5 years ago Telana started trading up in value from a single matchstick and is aiming for offices to help start-up entrepreneurs. She has made nine trades so far and her current trade involves selling 375 Springleap T-shirts, of which she has 53 left. She is looking for ways and ideas to reach people who will trade with her for one of her Tshirts, so she can finish her tenth trade. Maybe we can help her @Telena
Come connect with us tonight, if you haven’t already RSVPed, I encourage you to join us. If you can’t make it, please tweet and tell your friends to come, its always nice to have new faces and a nice crowd out.
Reuel Leach will give a short talk on his new book: Wemenology: a Study of the Women by a Male inspired by desperate women. In this day and AGE when men have stopped listening to women there is a need created to fill in that GAP. Men say they don’t understand women. Its a lie. They can, they will. If they stop thinking with their minds and more with their hearts they will enter in to a new realm of enlightment. Follow him @Wemenology
We have 59 RSVPs this evening, so it should be a great night!
Thanks for all of your support.