Mxit has signed up 5-million subscribers to its educational content, and 600 000 to its eight exam revision applications. Mxit believes this provides ample evidence that the average mobile phone can become a transformative education tool for learners.
Andrew Rudge, Chief of Insight and Reach at Mxit says, “mLearning is powerful because it breaks through the traditional barriers of time, location and the cost of delivering educational content. The power of the Internet in an educational context has always been that it simplifies access to content and the experts on that content. With Mxit we are taking that power and making it easily accessible on the average feature phone.”
QuizMax, which gives learners access to Maths, Physical Science and Life Sciences quizzes for grades 10, 11 and 12, is the most popular exam revision application on Mxit, with over 200 000 subscribers.
“The potential for QuizMax to improve learners’ ability to pass exams is undeniable. Last year our top achievers got over 92% in Maths and Physical Science and achieved their goals of securing scholarships and bursaries to study further,” says Ian McDougall, the founder of Learning to the Max Foundation, which developed QuizMax.
“Because our 1500 questions are always available, the learner is able to learn independently. It doesn’t matter where they are, what time it is or what their current ability level is. This flexibility and independence, combined with the emergence of a technology generation, means that mLearning tools like QuizMax have the potential to truly empower learners and possibly transform education,” concludes McDougall.
The revision apps available to all Mxit users include:
- QuizMax: Maths, Physical Science and Life Sciences quizzes for grade 10,11 and 12 learners
- Class of 2012 (DOBE): Tips and advice on study methods and additional study materials
- ExamZone: Chat room for exam discussions
- Everything Maths: Curriculum aligned textbooks with embedded videos, simulations, PowerPoint presentations and more.
- Everything Science: Curriculum aligned textbooks with embedded videos, simulations, PowerPoint presentations and more.
- CellSchool: Free video revision lessons to assist with exam preparation
- Crunch The Numbers: Put Maths skills to the test, and possibly win a bursary
- Dr Math: A Maths-tutoring programme developed by the CSIR Meraka Institute.
source: Gadget Technology Magazine
Incoming search terms:
- ramonthomas com (12)